Friday, March 15, 2013

Tohoku lacquer-craft

I would like to introduce one of the great things about Tohoku, the place I grew up. A few months ago, my mom visited me in San Francisco. It was such a short stay but we had a great time. She brought a beautiful broach for me which she got in Aomori ( one of the prefecture in Tohoku) . The broach has a lacquer-tree sap finish and its a Japanese traditional craft which is called Tugaru-nuri.  Tugaru-nuri lacquer work from Aomori has always been near me growing up, I love the beauty of lacquer finish look and the power of natural materials. Also I feel very strong spirits of the craftsmen of these. I appreciate Japanese traditional  craft even more since I moved to America...

It's been already 2 years since 3/11 (Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami). I won't forget it and I will continue to do my best to support them.